When it comes to home renovations, homeowners often seek upgrades that not only enhance their living space but also offer a solid return on investment (ROI). Whether you’re preparing to sell your home or simply looking to increase its value, strategic renovations can make a significant impact.
Here are 10 key upgrades that can improve your quality of life, boost your home’s value, and provide an excellent ROI.
- Curb Appeal: As they say, you never get a second chance to make good first impression. So, it’s no surprise that ramping up your home’s curb appeal is a great way to make a lasting impact on your friends, neighbors, or potential buyers.
Improvements such as fresh paint on your home or front door can go a long way. Well-maintained and lush landscaping, outdoor lighting, and an inviting front entrance can also significantly enhance your home’s overall appearance. A visually appealing home exterior shows pride of ownership and creates a pleasant ambiance for you and your family to enjoy.
- Exterior Amenities: Expanding your outdoor space with decks, patios, entertainment areas, and depending on your location, a swimming pool and/or hot tub can dramatically transform your living space into a personal oasis while adding luxury and value to your home.
These welcome additions provide opportunities for relaxation, entertaining, and enjoying the outdoors. Creating functional and inviting outdoor spaces to enjoy with family and friends will enhance your lifestyle and create lasting memories.
- Flooring: Refinishing your hardwood floors or installing new hardwood flooring is a wise investment and a game-changer for your home’s overall aesthetics and functionality. Installing new wood floors alone can, on average, increase your home’s value by an impressive 3% to 5%.
Refinished or new hardwood flooring brings warmth and elegance to your living spaces and is popular with both homeowners and potential buyers alike. It’s a worthwhile investment that not only adds visual appeal but also enhances the durability and longevity of your home.
- Kitchen Upgrade: For most people, the kitchen is the heart of their home, and upgrading it can enhance both your daily living experience and your home’s resale value.
Adding a center island and/or a walk-in pantry, as well as updating appliances, replacing old and dated countertops and cabinets, and incorporating modern, luxe fixtures and finishes, can ramp up a kitchen’s appeal and overall functionality. A stylish, well-designed kitchen adds convenience and quiet enjoyment to your daily routine.
- Bathroom(s) Upgrade: Few things look worse than a dark, dated, and shabby bathroom. Bathrooms are essential spaces in any home, and upgrading them can significantly improve the homeowner’s comfort and satisfaction. Primary bathrooms with double sink vanities, refinished or new bathtubs, and walk-in showers are all the rage today and can significantly increase a bathroom’s appeal and value.
Other improvements that significantly boost satisfaction and value include updated fixtures, new tile work and flooring, updated plumbing, and improved lighting and storage solutions. By transforming a bathroom into a relaxing and functional retreat, you’ll elevate your daily routine as well as add value to your home.
- Home Office Addition: The recent lockdown showed us that creating a home office has become increasingly important to homeowners and potential buyers when searching for a new home. As more and more people work from home, a dedicated space away from noise and distractions is quickly becoming a must-have in today’s world.
A well-designed home office should be a comfortable workspace with good lighting and adequate storage to help foster organization, focus, and productivity. Whether you work remotely or simply need a dedicated space for study or personal tasks, a well-designed home office addition provides the homeowner with privacy, convenience, and functionality free of distraction and clutter.
- Basement or Attic Conversion: Maximizing the usable square footage of your home by converting the basement or attic into a livable space can offer versatility and increased functionality.
These once-dead spaces can be refashioned into home theaters, entertaining areas, additional bedrooms, home offices, hobby spaces, or home gyms. By utilizing every corner of a living space effectively, you’ll enhance your home’s overall value while catering to your and your family’s ever-changing needs.
- HVAC Conversion (electrification): Whether you attribute it to climate change or not, our planet is getting hotter. Likewise, July 3rd and 4th of this year have gone down as the two hottest days on record. Investing in energy-efficient upgrades, such as converting to an all-electric HVAC system, offers long-term benefits for your everyday comfort, bank account, and home’s resale value.
All-electric systems reduce reliance on fossil fuels, improve energy efficiency, and contribute to a modern, sustainable lifestyle. By embracing energy-efficient solutions, you create a comfortable living environment while reducing your ecological footprint.
- Insulation: Improving your home’s insulation is a wise investment that pays off in terms of comfort, energy efficiency, and home equity. Good insulation helps regulate temperature, reduces energy consumption, lowers monthly energy bills, decreases carbon footprint, and dramatically enhances indoor comfort.
Newer Green insulation options include cellulose fiber, cork, denim, fiberglass, mineral wool, mycelium, and wool. By upgrading insulation in key areas, you’ll create a more energy-efficient home that’s comfortable year-round and reduce your utility costs.
- New Roof: A well-maintained roof protects your home from the elements and helps maintain overall home value. If your roof is aging or showing signs of wear, investing in a new roof of quality materials can provide peace of mind and enhance your home’s overall appeal.
Popular materials include clay and concrete tiles, asphalt shingles, slate, metal, wood shingles and shake, and synthetic products made from plastic, rubber, or polymer. A sturdy, high-quality roof protects your investment and gives your home a fresh and well-maintained appearance.
Home renovations offer the opportunity to improve your living space while adding long-term value to your home. By focusing on upgrades that enhance your home’s visual appeal, functionality, and energy efficiency, you’ll create a more comfortable living environment for you and your family.
Whether it’s improving your home’s curb appeal, upgrading key areas like the kitchen and bathroom, or optimizing unused spaces, these renovations will enhance your daily life and ultimately boost your home’s value.
RLB Architecture is a high-end architecture and design firm that provides custom design, planning, drafting, and construction administration services for projects in the Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Malibu, Santa Monica, and other Westside communities. Richard L. Blumenberg is the proprietor.
©2021 RLB Architecture. All rights reserved. No content herein, including text, images, video or any other media, may be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the express permission of the copyright holder.